Quick Facts About Diabetes
Did you know?
• Diabetes has grown to epidemic proportions with 246 million adults worldwide living with diabetes
• The 246 million figure above is expected to grow to 380 million by the year 2025
• 1/3 of the people included in the above 246 million are not aware they have diabetes
• American Indians, African Americans and Hispanics are more likely to have diabetes than other ethnicities
• 1 in 3 children born in the year 2000 could develop diabetes in their lifetime
• Diabetes is a major cause of heart disease and strokes which result in 65% of deaths among people with diabetes
• 54 million Americans have a high risk for developing Type 2 diabetes and already have “pre-diabetes”
• Alarmingly, the prevalence of Type 2 and Gestational diabetes during pregnancy has increased 61% in the United States since 1990
• One in 5 adults over the age of 65 has Diabetes
Next time, I will provide you with some hints to help navigate the maze of healthcare if you or one of your loved ones is at risk for or living with diabetes.
Nancy Bristow, CDE, RN is an active contributor to Project Diabetes and an Advisory Board Member of Three Questions, LLC, which operates Project Diabetes as part of My Health Projects. Three Questions also operates Healthcare Fellowship Networks.